Saturday, August 13

An Exercise Program

A regular physical exercise program can lower your risk of heart disease and some cancers, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. And exercise can also improve your mental health and help prevent early death. In other words, exercise can help you live a longer and healthier life. So what are you waiting for?





Jana Tivey of Marston's Mills, Mass., decided to start an exercise program to improve her overall health in midlife. "I started exercising because of my age, my weight, and just to feel better," she says. Tivey works in a medical office and spends a lot of time sitting at a desk. "I finally had enough of
feeling tired and stiff all the time," she says.

Your Exercise Program: Getting Started

If you’ve never followed an exercise program before, it's best to start gradually. If you have any medical issues or physical disabilities, or if you are significantly overweight, you should talk to your doctor first. It's important to figure out what type of program is best for you before you get started. Many fitness facilities have trainers who can show you how to begin exercising safely.
"I decided to go with a personal trainer," says Tivey. "She made sure I was doing the exercises correctly so I didn't hurt myself."
If you can afford a personal trainer, this professional can offer many advantages, like helping you define your fitness goals, designing a personalized exercise program to help you achieve them, and keeping you motivated.

0 comments: